This Weekend..

No recipes today I am afraid as I have been away, and by 'I' I mean 'We'. We decided to have a short break, very short, just one night, in the Lake District so we went online on Wednesday night, picked a B&B and nooked it Thursday! In the car Friday and we were off! We made a stop on the way down at a Lead Mining Museum, I have driven past the sign for this SO many times so this time we stopped! And we were glad we did, Not only are you surrounded by some brilliant countryside but the museum offers a guided tour through a mine, into old miners cottages and round the first, and biggest, subscription library in Scotland. The tour guide was great, we were a small party just us two and a family of four but that was perfect as it allowed for plenty questions.

After the Mining Experience we were back on the road and arrived in Keswick at about 6.30pm, just as the B&B lady had given up on us and started on her tea... oops!! We headed into town for our tea and ended up in an Indian resturant, after walking all over Keswick trying to find a Mexican we had seen an advert for!! After my first experience in an Indian Resturant, I was keen to give it another go!!

The following day the weather was umm... seasonal with winds only gusting to 110mph, breezy!!! It was also accompanied by rain so we stuck to indoor pursuits, first off was a puzzle museum with all sorts of optical illusions, holograms, stuff like that!! There were even optical illusions that you could be part of... take a look at the crazy photos, I swear I have done nothing to them!! Seriously, if you go to Keswick ever go take a look at this place!!
Second stop was the Pencil Museum, the only one if its type in the world. Again another interesting stop and well worth a visit, all about the history of pencils and also how they are made!! The Pencil Museum signalled the eend of our little break but we have both enjoyed it immensely!! So it was off home where we decided there was still time so went to see Saw V at the cinema!!

1 comment:

Rachel Hyland said...

Lead Mining Museum and the Pencil Museum -- a girl after my own heart!

One of my favourite travel moments was coming across the Butter Museum when I was in Cork City, Ireland.

There's just nothing better than a true celebration of the mundane, which Museums of this kind most assuredly are.

Sounds like it was a fun trip -- except for the "Saw V" part, I assume.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures...

Rachel.